About Us : Mission
The CAFES Center for Sustainability advances sustainable food and agriculture systems through the Cal Poly College of Agriculture, Food and Environmental Sciences..
Agriculture for tomorrow
The Center for Sustainability recognizes three central components necessary to achieve true sustainability: the social, environmental and economic – sometimes referred to as "People, Planet, Prosperity."
Center for Sustainability stakeholders have identified and recognize the importance of several factors which are likely to become increasingly important if agriculturists and resource managers are going to be able to meet the needs of future generations. Key approaches and concerns, which tomorrow’s stewardship will need to address include, but are not limited to:
- Holistic and systems thinking
- Better understanding and balancing of sustainability considerations
- New sustainability assessment, metric and certification systems
- Consumer demand for food system knowledge
- Promotion of soil and ecosystem health
- Emergent regional foodshed alliances
- Navigation of an increasingly complex regulatory framework
- Increased collaboration/partnership
The above concerns have informed the development of our Focus Areas used as a point of departure for the Center's work.